How To Build The Perfect Severe Weather Safety Kit
A severe weather safety kit consists of all the basic and necessary items your family will need to survive in case of an emergency. When disaster strikes, you want to make sure you’re prepared for anything.
Power, gas, water, and telephone lines can be cut off for long periods after a disaster. You need to make sure you can survive on your own for at least 72 hours with enough water, food, and other essential supplies. Here are a few ideas on how to build the perfect severe weather safety kit.
Build the Perfect Severe Weather Safety Kit With These Tips
You need to put thought and effort into creating an emergency kit that will provide you with all the tools you need for survival after a catastrophe. Preparing well in advance can help save lives.
Basic Items To Include In Your Severe Weather Safety Kit
Some basic items are necessary and should be included in every emergency kit.
- One gallon of water per person for each day. This will be used for both sanitation and drinking
- Non-perishable food items should be sufficient to last 72 hours. Easy to cook, high-protein foods like peanut butter, tuna, and granola bars will give you more energy in small quantities
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- An NOAA weather radio with tone alert or battery-powered radio with extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Emergency whistles to call out to rescue
- Mobile phones with portable chargers
- Local map
- KN95 mask or other dust masks
- Diapers and infant formula if you have small children
- Personal sanitation supplies like garbage bags, wet towelettes, and plastic ties
- Can opener for food
- Pliers and wrenches to turn off utilities
- Duct tape and plastic sheeting will help you create a shelter
Now that you know some of the basic supplies you’ll need, let’s take a look at some additional items that can come in handy in your severe weather safety kit. You don’t necessarily need all of these items, but make sure you pack a kit that will help you and your family feel safe and comfortable.
- Prescription medications for household members who need them
- Pain-relievers (Paracetamol, Aspirin, etc.), diarrhea medication, anti-allergies, and antacids are generic OTCs that can be useful
- Hand sanitizer, soap, and disinfectant wipes as precautions for the ongoing pandemic.
- Some emergency cash
- Store copies of vital family documents in a waterproof container. This includes bank account records, IDs, and insurance policies
- Fire extinguishers as they can save lives
- Personal hygiene items for women
- Books, puzzles, and games to help pass the time
Don’t Forget Your Pet!
Your pet is also a valuable member of your household. They need your assistance to survive an emergency. Add the following to your pet’s severe weather safety kit.
- A two-week supply of medications that your dog will need
- A one-week worth of pet food and water
- One-time-use litter trays
- Garbage bags for cleanup
- Extra leash
- Blanket or thunder shirt for scared pets
- Favorite Toys and treats for distraction and comfort
Where To Store Your Kit
The kit should easily be accessible in cases of emergency and all members of the house should know its location. Consider making a couple of different kits, one for the house, one to keep in the car, and one to keep at your workplace.
Keep checking every few months and replace any items that are near their expiration date.
Valley Storm Shelters Can Protect What Matters Most
We hope you feel better having a basic checklist for what to pack in your survival kit. It might be a good idea to plan a day with your family to pack them together and go over any safety plans you have during the storm season. When your kids feel prepared and know the plan, it will help ease some of the fear if disastrous weather does strike. We always suggest including some non-perishable treats and some of your family’s favorite comfort items in your kit too to help add a level of comfort to your kit.
At the end of the day, severe weather safety kits are important, but they are not enough to help you survive a storm. You need strong and reliable storm shelters to have the best chance of surviving.
Valley storm shelters is the #1 storm shelter provider in the United States. We have a choice of top-quality aboveground safe rooms, underground garage shelters, panic rooms, and strong replacement shelter doors that provide the highest level of safety to your loved ones. Give yourself some peace of mind and keep your emergency kit packed away in your storm shelter.
Contact Valley Storm Shelters™ right away for more information. We would be happy to answer any and all questions you have and help you find the right safety solution for you and your family. View our demo videos and read some of our testimonials and then give us a call today!